query about transliteration

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Thu Apr 22 10:33:39 UTC 2004

In spite of being a mere linguist who could never aspire to join the
ranks of the civilised peoples and moreover being prepared to
expatiate to my students for half a lecture on the deficiencies of
the Library of Congress scheme, I generally agree with what Genevra
Gerhart says.  Especially the suggestion that the linguists' system
is the one used in Heaven. I was, though, once quite impressed to see
the name of a Russian country music group (don't ask) transliterated
as Kookoorooza.

There may, however, be another answer to Natalia Pylypiuk's original
question.  According to the comparative table of transliteration
drawn up by J.S.G. Simmons in 1970, 'h' for 'x' is included in
Recommendation R9 issued by the International Standards Organisation
in September 1968.

I hope you all feel better for knowing that.

John Dunn.

>Ladies and gentlemen,
>
>Problem is, countries and groups within countries have seen fit to
>transliterate as they damn well please. Thus, the Russians, using their own
>standard, transliterate their "x" as our h. (Which sounds as close as an
>American can easily get to the Russian "x".) This, of course,
>discombobulates US academics who realize that only the LC (Library of
>Congress) system will do among civilized people. This latter group does not
>include linguists who use yet another system or systems that endeavor to
>come closer to a one-to-one correspondence between languages. Their problem
>is that no one else on earth uses their systems. They can be left to Heaven.
>
>If you want to communicate with the public beyond the walls of the Academy,
>then use the Board of Geographic Names system. Within the Academy, LC.
>
>But, by all means, please refrain from even contemplating using your own
>system. Communication requires that our signals remain standard ones. (We
>should not have to put up with "oo" for the Russian "y", for example.) The
>three sets of transliteration commonly used are described and shown on pp
>633,634  The Russian Context.
>
>Which see, I might say.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Genevra
>
>http://www.GenevraGerhart.com
>
>ggerhart at comcast.net

John Dunn
School of Modern Languages and Cultures (Slavonic Studies)
University of Glasgow
Hetherington Building
Bute Gardens
Glasgow