Bogdanov's "Red Star"

LeBlanc, Ronald Ronald.LeBlanc at UNH.EDU
Mon Nov 7 21:07:51 UTC 2005

Dear SEELANGers,

I regularly teach a course, "Humanities and Science," that focuses on
artistic representations of the often troublesome relationship between human
beings and the machines they create (especially robots).

This focus allows me to include Comp Lit texts such as Villiers's
"Tomorrow's Eve" and Capek's "R.U.R." (as well as films such as "Metropolis"
and "Modern Times"), but also works of early twentieth-century Russian
literature such as Bogdanov's "Red Star," Zamyatin's "We," Mayakovsky's "The
Bedbug," and Olesha's "Envy."

Bogdanov's novel has been available in English translation in a nicely
translated and annotated paperback edition published by Indiana UP.  But
that edition, alas, has now gone out of print.

At the AAASS conference in Salt Lake City this past week, I spoke with Janet
Rabinowitch of IUP about the possibility of the Bogdanov edition being
reprinted.  She is curious to know beforehand exactly what kind of academic
demand there might be for this text.

If any of you have used, currently do us, or anticipate using at some point
in the near future IUP's English-language version of Bogdanov's "Red Star"
for a course you teach, would you please reply to me
(ronald.leblanc at unh.edu) asap?

Thanks,

Ron

Ronald D. LeBlanc