Stalinist Terror and genocide

Subhash.Jaireth at GA.GOV.AU Subhash.Jaireth at GA.GOV.AU
Mon Nov 7 23:35:46 UTC 2005

Hi All,

Picking the thread of the interesting discussion of Stalinka, I was wondering
if Stalinist repression/terror has been theorised in terms of genocide? That
is has someone looked at drawing the parallels between the Jewish Holocaust,
Armenian massacre, Rwandan and Bosnian ethnic cleansing? I dislike the word
cleansing although those who performed such killings tried to justify it in
terms of cleansing the communal body of the nation. Can Stalin-time killings
be called genocide? Is the term genocide appropriate to describe, theorise
and understand those tragic events?

Would be grateful for any comments?

Thanks

Subhash