Stalinist Terror and genocide

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Wed Nov 9 07:53:35 UTC 2005

8 Nov. 05

Interesting and valid observations below.  Let me add that Grossman's
_Life and Fate_ is one of those fat novels that students do not seem to
mind reading, at least in my teaching experience.  Back in the 80s I
found students would get very excited about the parallels drawn there
between Stalin's Soviet Union and Hitler's Germany.  Reading
Solzhenitsyn's fat novels, on the other hand, seemed more of a chore to
them, and did not provoke such heated discussion in the classroom.  That
was my experience anyway.  Perhaps others have had different
experiences.  In any case, I am glad this great novel is being reissued
in English.  I also think Vasilii Grossman generally deserves more
attention from scholars than he has received in the past.

Regards to the list,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere