BBC News on foreign students in Russia

Renee Stillings | Alinga renee at alinga.com
Wed Nov 30 17:13:33 UTC 2005

I have been living in Moscow without incident for the past 13 years and have
been sending students, often with darker features, to to Russia for over 10
years with ample opportunity for feedback if any such issues arise. Luckily,
none of our students seem to have encountered race-specific violence or
threats. Much of this has to do with where they spend their time - MGU main
campus, for example, is not the same kind of target as PFU (which has also
improved) or some other schools that have a greater number of (non-European)
international students. The head of the Russian Language Center at MGIMO
also pointed out to me recently (in so many words) that "such things would
just not happen on this campus because any Russian with half a brain would
fear the resources that MGIMO would use to punish him." Sort of like
stealing a BMW in Moscow - you have to give some thought to who the owner
might be.

One of my business partners and close friends in Moscow is Guyanese, of
African descent, albeit very light-skinned. He has the most experience in
this area as he has lived continuously now in Moscow since 1990. He studied
at PFU ("Lumumba" in his day) and while he was in school there (up until
about 1998) he did point out that it was an issue in certain locations -
particularly near Lumumba, where the troublemakers flocked to find targets.
Later, as he began working and living in the center, he did mention to me a
few times that he always felt a bit nervous walking through the underpass
near the Prague restaurant, or in the area in front of the main Arbat metro
station. But then again, so did I, and I generally pass for Russian or
Baltic. A lot of these so-called "skin-heads" and the like would often hang
out there drinking beer, playing loud music, and while we never heard of
actually instances of violence in those locations, it just made you nervous
if you felt you stood out. Those locations seem better now - still a lot of
kids hang out there drinking beer, but fewer and they don't appear to be the
black-leather wearing type anymore.

As Tom pointed out, the same street smarts used in any large city should be
used in Moscow. If you see a group of rowdy drinkers standing around (often
near metro stations where kiosks sell beer), best to walk around them, or
minimally not walk through them speaking a foreign language loudly. But who
would do that here in the US either? We normally just don't encounter this
because such drinking is not allowed on the street (they are trying to stop
it, to little avail, in Russia). But we can probably relate to the
experience of walking into a truly "neighborhood" bar and having everyone
turn and stare. Particularly the poorer the neighborhood or more remote the
town. Tom's point is valid that there is somewhat more risk in St.
Petersburg. We have noted more instances across the board there in terms of
petty crime, especially during summer tourist months. There is a lot of
logic as to why the poorer provincial cities would have more issues in this
regard. Local politicians like to emphasize nationalism to gain popularity,
making such behavior more "acceptable," and there are plenty of young people
without better things to do than stand around, drink, and cause trouble.
Some of these cities have universities (such as some of the medical schools
in places like Ryazan or Kursk) that attract a sizeable group of foreign
students that stand out - many from Pakistan, India, etc. Relative to a
Moscow population that is already fairly mixed, they would not be noticed by
most, but in a provincial area that is probably intolerant enough of its own
"minorities" and "outsiders," this creates a potential danger.

In short, if we are speaking of Moscow, it is just like any large city in
the world. There are certain areas or situations to avoid and a good degree
of common sense and cultural sensitivity needed.

Renee