BBC News on foreign students in Russia

Tom Nicholson tnicholson at PIH.ORG
Wed Nov 30 15:48:34 UTC 2005

I lived in Moscow the last year in the far north side of Moscow.  My
friends and I (some Jewish, one African American) never had any trouble
beyond the occasional lingering stare. While there was one notable
incident of Middle Eastern youths being accosted, I never heard of any
of the foreigners I knew encountering anything particularly racist or
xenophobic.  I've lived in many large cities and would consider any city
well over 10 million to have a similar rate of violence.  Frankly
speaking, no matter how "Jewish" your husband may appear, he won't stand
out physically at all from your average Russian.  I believe the same
street smarts that keep you safe in a large American city would serve
you just as well in Moscow.

As per the other African-American student, I would be more hesitant to
study in St. Petersburg... I think it's safe to say that the more
economically depressed an area is (and Pete is poorer than Moscow), the
higher the chance of harassment in some form or another.

I'm no expert, but this has been my experience.

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Deborah Hoffman
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 10:20 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] BBC News on foreign students in Russia

I have the same concern - can anyone share impressions
on the different regions or cities?  I'm jewish and
can pass as not but my husband is more obviously
(stereotypically?) so.  I'm hesitant to bring him,
much less our son, which would curtail any extensive
study or work in Russia, though obviously not short
trips I could do on my own.

It's hard to sort out the extent or scale of the
threat because those without the same fears may
underestimate the risk, and those of us who have
reason to fear may perceive the overall risk as being
greater than it actually is because we don't want to
be that one in a million.  Ironically, I had thought
of going to a smaller area (like Voronezh) instead of
Moscow for this precise reason.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/russian/russia/newsid_4478000/4478446.stm