Announcing the 13/2005 volume of Palaeoslavica

Olga Strakhov strakhov at GSD.HARVARD.EDU
Tue Jan 3 18:25:04 UTC 2006

         Dear Colleagues,
         I am pleased to announce the availability of the13/2005 issue of
Palaeoslavica,
The full contents of the latest issue see on our website (unicode
encoding): http://palaeoslavica.com/_wsn/page3.html

Volume 1 of Palaeoslavica XIII/2005 consists of two sections: Articles and
Miscellanea. Section Articles presents the last part of the article by
Fedor Klimchuk on the medieval history of some regions of Belarus; it also
contains articles by Tat'iana Vilkul on the origin of the common prototext
of the Laurentian and Hypatian Chronicles; by Aleksei Tolochko on the
chronology of the Galician-Volhynian Chronicle; by Donald Ostrowski on the
textual relationships between the Life of Josif of Volokolamsk and the Life
of Serapion, Archbishop of Novgorod; by Andrei Selin on the political
situation in Nov­gorod in 1610/11 and its reflection in some documents of
the Gosuderev vinnyi pogreb; by Olga Strakhov on the dynamics and strategy
of corrections, introduced into the Apostoly of the 2nd half of the 17th
c.; by Alexander Strakhov on the etymology of Russian dialectisms
kondrashka, zhivoglot, etc.; by Varvara Dobrovol'skaia on the role of
taboos in the agricultural activity of peasants in Northern and Central
Russia; and the survey by A Khrolenko et al. of problems and alternatives
of linguistic aspects of folkloric studies.

      Section Miscellanea presents articles and notes by, among others, P.
Ambrosiani, S. Kisterev, A. Shchavelev, I. Dobrodomov.

      Volume 2 of Palaeoslavica XIII/2005 consists of sections Speculum and
Publications.
      Section Speculum presents A. Strakhov's analysis of some etymologies
of Proto-Slavic cultural terms; an article by Frances Butler on the
controversial issues concerning early testimonies of the cult of St. George
in Kievan Rus'; a reply by D. Ostrowski to the critics of his edition of
the Primary Chronicle; and another article by A. Strakhov discussing
obstacles and pitfalls of "folk etymology" and its study. Section
Publications  presents Slovo ob otrechenii ot mira... by John Climacus
according to its oldest Slavic manuscript (publ. and comm. by Tat'iana
Popova), as well as some documents about the conflict between revisers and
authorities at the Moscow Printing Yard in the beginning of the 18th c.
(publ. and comm. by O. Strakhov). The section also contains a number of
large publications of folkloric material in modern records: Russian
lullabies (publ. and comm. by Elena Samodelova), Ukrainian folk medicine
and curative spells (publ. and comm. by A. Strakhov), rituals and songs,
performed on the Nativity and Trinity days in the North-West of the Perm'
region (comm. and publ. by Klavdiia Prokosheva).