Trying again: ASEEES Panels on Science Fiction

eric r laursen eric.laursen at M.CC.UTAH.EDU
Sat Dec 17 15:04:36 UTC 2011

Good news for admirers of Slavic sci-fi! We are planning three marvelous science fiction panels for the ASEEES 2012 Conference, which will be held in New Orleans on November 15-18. As all panel proposals must be submitted by Jan 15, 2012, we urge anyone interested in presenting at the convention on this topic to contact us ASAP (and as directed below). Each of our triad of panels will examine separate post-1917 historical periods within the general framework of the interaction of science and scientists with Soviet and post-Soviet literary fiction.

Our three panels are variously recruiting speakers, discussants, and chairs. If you are interested in contributing in one of these roles, please contact the relevant organizer directly.

And please check out the collaborative blog at “Snail on the Slope” at http://russiansf.wordpress.com/

Science Fiction I (Pre-revolutionary & Early Soviet): How the Style Was Tempered
Organizer: Eric Laursen, University of Utah (eric.laursen at utah.edu)

Panelist: Eric Laursen (Utah),  Evgenii Zamiatin and the Second Law of Thermodynamics

Seeking panelists, chair, and discussant

Science Fiction II (Cold War): Cold War, Hot Topics
Organizer:  Sibelan Forrester, Swarthmore College (sforres1 at swarthmore.edu)

Chair: Anindita Banerjee (Cornell),
Discussant:  Matthias Schwartz (Freie Universität Berlin)
Panelists:
Yvonne Howell (Richmond): Mutant Flies, Cold War Spies, on Dudintsev’s Belye odezhdy
Sibelan Forrester (Swarthmore): Soviet SF in English-language translations.
Muireann Maguire (Oxford):  Viktor Shtrum in Grossman’s Zhizn’ i sud’ba

Science Fiction III (Post-Soviet): Apocalypse Then: Dystopian Narratives in Contemporary Eastern European Fiction
Organizer: Sofya Khagi University of Michigan (skhagi at umich.edu)
Panelists:
Sofya Khagi: The Shape of the Apocalypse in Contemporary Russian Literature  (Pelevin, Bykov, Ilichevsky)
Matthias Schwartz: Glukhovskii’s Metro 2033

Seeking chair, discussant, and third panelist