quote by Vertov

Daria Khitrova khitrova at UCLA.EDU
Sun Dec 18 07:55:32 UTC 2011

The passage comes from Vertov's essay "Киноглаз" from "На путях искусства"
(М.: Пролеткульт, 1926), republished in Дзига Вертов. Статьи. Дневники.
Замыслы. / Ред.-сост. С.В. Дробашенко. М., 1966. С.89-93. The passage you
quote is an entire small chapter entitled "Сознание или подсознание (Из
воззвания киноков)" (p.92).
Best, Daria

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of William Derbyshire
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 3:49
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] quote by Vertov

Can anyone direct me to a source (preferably available on the  Internet)
with the
original Russian text of the quote by Dziga Vertov below? Many  thanks.

"We rise against the collusion between the director-enchanter and the
public which is submitted to the enchantment. The conscious alone can fight

against magical suggestions of every kind. The conscious alone can form a
man
of  firm convictions and opinions. We need conscious people, not an
unconscious  mass, ready to yield to any suggestion. Long live the
consciousness of
the pure  who can see and hear! Down with the scented veil of kisses,
murders, doves and  conjuring tricks! Long live the class vision! Long live
the
Kino-Eye!"