Mikhail Shishkin refuses to represent 'criminal' Russian regime (6)

Yevgeniy Slivkin Yevgeniy.Slivkin at DU.EDU
Fri Mar 8 19:00:31 UTC 2013

In addition to what Elena Gapova wrote, I would be curious to know why Shishkin initially agreed to be a part of the Russian writers’ delegation heading to New York and then suddenly made a statement that he refused to participate due to his disgust for Putin and his government. What happened during this short interval of time in Russia that Shishkin suddenly “прозрел” and saw the regime in its true light?

 Yevgeny Slivkin

________________________________
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Elena Gapova [e.gapova at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 9:06 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Mikhail Shishkin refuses to represent 'criminal' Russian regime (6)

Politkovskaya does not belong with this discussion: she was directly involved with politics in her professional life and made her position clear at all times, while this conversation, I believe, focuses on a kind of "intellectual privilege" specific to (some) artists, writers, producers, directors etc.

I constantly see anti-Putin intellectuals taking a political stand regarding the "regime" and its "brainwashing propagandistic media" (esp. TV) and, at the same time, living off the projects they do for these very media (TV series, entertainment shows, even their own "авторские программы"). This "delineation" between one's "political position" and "professional moneymaking" seems a real moral problem to me (not that I condemn anyone; my observations are of a general kind and were just spurred by Mikhail Shishkin's statement). A political position, in this case, is a very useful commodity: it exists "separetely" of one's real life and can be applied according to one's needs.

e.g.