SEELANGS Digest - 9 Jul 2014 to 10 Jul 2014 (#2014-317)

Susan Welsh welsh_business at VERIZON.NET
Fri Jul 11 11:41:08 UTC 2014

Subject: machine translation -= promt?

Dear Robert,

I got a trial version once, and found it very time-consuming to learn,
train, and use. While it may be helpful for a company that translates
large volumes of work in one subject area, I found it utterly
impractical for an individual translator. The whole idea of it, unlike
the free MT systems, is that you train it to translate the way you want.
If you just "let it rip" on its own, without training it, the outcome is
(or was, when I tried it a couple of years ago) worse than Google Translate.

They probably still have a trial version that you can use for a month or
so and see for yourself. The main competitor is Systran, but I didn't
try that one because there is no trial version. These are both fairly
costly.

Best regards,
Susan

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs