Subject: What's the best way to prepare endnotes for publication?

Susan Welsh welsh_business at VERIZON.NET
Tue Jul 22 21:56:04 UTC 2014

Dear Andrea,

I don't see why there's a problem. Your pagination in Word is not going to be the same as the final book pagination anyway. I would just make them endnotes in Word (References > Insert Endnote).
The software known as "Endnotes" is really for standardizing academic citations according to a publisher's style, and does not seem to apply to you. It is also not cheap.

Best regards,
Susan

--

Susan Welsh

http://www.ssw-translation.com

Leesburg, Virginia USA

Date:    Tue, 22 Jul 2014 09:42:03 -0800
From:    Andrea Gregovich<agregovich at GMAIL.COM>

Greetings Colleagues,

I am preparing endnotes for a novel I translated that is heavy with details
from Soviet culture. I started working on them in a .doc file, but then it
occurred to me that my page numbers would be off that way because, конечно,
the page layout will change in the transition from word .doc manuscript to
bound book. This is a fairly new publisher whose previous books have been
novels not in translation, so I don't think they've thought of this issue
yet either. We're set on endnotes rather than footnotes because the writing
is very minimalist and we don't want to clutter the pages with distractions.

I see that there is Endnote software available, but I can't tell if that
would really suit my purposes here. Plus, we're on a shoestring budget and
I'd like to avoid personally buying software if possible. What have you all
done in the past in preparing Endnotes?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!

Best,
Andrea Gregovich

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs