A phone call from Odesa

R. M. Cleminson rmcleminson at POST.SK
Sat Mar 8 08:41:52 UTC 2014

Robert Orr wrote:

> Is “We want the EU!”  really the best translation of “My v Evropu
> xotim?”

No, it isn't.  “My v Evropu xotim” means “We want to be part of Europe” - obviously in a political/cultural sense, as geographically they already are.  This probably reflects what I would consider a sloppy use of “Europe” as shorthand for “the EU”, which is quite common among British politicians (particularly those who don't want to be part of it).  It is particularly unfortunate in the present case as it probably misrepresents the aspirations of the original speakers.

He also  wrote:

> Also, the use of “фашист” as blanket term in Soviet-style jargon needs to be discussed.
> Anyone noticed how “фашист” was subtitled as “Nazi” in the Stalingrad movie currently
> playing?

Here, on the other hand, the subtitler's translation is fully justified, if he wanted the English corresponding usage.  English (and German) speakers consistently referred to the Nazis as Nazis during the war; it was only the Soviet Russians (presumably embarrassed by the term Nazionalsozialismus) who called them “фашисты”.  In English, if one hears "Fascist" in a Second World War context, on thinks of the Italians.