A phone call from Odesa

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Mar 7 23:31:08 UTC 2014

On 07.03.2014 13:06, Alina Israeli wrote:
> Choosing another family (to get away from the sex metaphor) may be the only way to protect yourself from the old dysfunctional one, particularly if the father was a rapist (sorry, back to the sex metaphor).
>
> Both Switzerland and Norway do not have a great track record when it comes to resisting Hitler, in fact they both were cooperating with Hitler. Some neutrality.
I just jumped into this, but isn't Norway being confused with Sweden?
Sweden remained neutral and profiteered, but Norway was occupied by the
Germans, in fact, was not liberated until after Germany surrendered in
April, since it had been bypassed by the allies.  It is true that it was
not considered hard duty by the Germans, as a Norwegian student assured
me when I was a Fulbrighter there in 1964, and it is also true that
Norway would have been happy to stay neutral, as they were in WW I, but
definitely not a neutral country in WW II.
Jules Levin