A phone call from Odesa

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri Mar 7 21:06:48 UTC 2014

Choosing another family (to get away from the sex metaphor) may be the only way to protect yourself from the old dysfunctional one, particularly if the father was a rapist (sorry, back to the sex metaphor).

Both Switzerland and Norway do not have a great track record when it comes to resisting Hitler, in fact they both were cooperating with Hitler. Some neutrality. Iceland is lucky; it is on a remote island. I am sure Poland and Czechoslovakia each in turn wished they were on an island West of Portugal.