convention

Ingvild Roald ingvild.roald at STATPED.NO
Tue Jul 23 14:49:36 UTC 2002

Yesterday I spoke to one of the few persons in Norway who do any research
on sign. He does not himself use SignWriting, but knows of the system.He
is a professor at the university of Oslo. He though a convention on the
writing of signed languages was a great idea, and that it was a pity/
shame that no such convention had been held yet.

There is a grant opportunity for the Nordic countries, with a deadline in
November. But as SW is not much used in Scandinavia, we might be in a
minority, and would not want that. Besides, it would be hard to argue for
a world-wide convention that way. I think prepartions should take at least
one year, and that we should think carefully about where and when and who

But we really do need such a convention, that's for sure,

Ingvild