DeafWay

Stuart Thiessen smt_sw at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 19 16:54:36 UTC 2002

I like the idea of a SignWriting convention.  Maybe that is a place to
start?  Would that be supportable by a grant or grants?  Perhaps if we have
some "technical" papers related to current research in SignWriting and have
papers from Brazil, New Mexico, and everywhere else that there is something
being researched, then maybe a foundation would support the convention and
then we can use some of that support to put it on?  Perhaps we could also
look at "membership" issues and see if we can find a way to promote
SignWriting as a community or convention of users rather than as
individuals?  Perhaps that would be one way to show that it is not just a
few "weird" individuals using the system here and there, but it is actually
being used in various ways that are beneficial to the community at large.

Perhaps if making it SignWriting-specific is too specific, we could even
invite the HamNoSys people and the SignFont people (I only know of one place
in Tucson, Arizona that uses SignFont) and make it a conference on the use
of writing in Sign Language research and community. (or something like
that).

Perhaps by the time DeafWay III happens, the SignWriting Convention or
Writing Systems Convention or whatever ends up happening can be the
organization or community which requests representation rather than a group
of individuals who seek to be recognized by the "Deaf majority".

Just a thought.

Stuart