mouthing words?

Antony & Terry Daamen atdaamen at MYOFFICE.NET.AU
Tue Jun 18 04:59:14 UTC 2002

18/06/02

Hi Stephan and others of this list,

I would like to make a little comment about 'mouthing' of words.  In Auslan
is very little mouthing of words However, there are many facial expressions
that add the right meaning to the word. For instance the 'wh' questions
(who, what when etc) have a frown, but a yes/no questions have a raised eye
brow facial expression, also emotions like annoyed, angry very angry and
everything in between is showing in facial expressions and body language.
 In short everything that hearing people do with their voice (as in showing
emotions, humor, sarcasm etc) is shown in facial expressions.

My wife (totally Deaf) and others hate it if I would talk and sign at the
same time, as they cant see the signs and the lipreading at the same time.
So in this context Deafies like hearing people to mouth the words, so they
can understand the poor signing skills, i.e. they don't look at the signing
but try to understand by lipreading. Does that mean DGS is a very poor SL
so the Deaf need mouthing to understand? ;)

This does fit with the Deaf history in Germany where oralism has been very
strong (and still is apparently), so there is still the idea that
lipreading is important for understanding one another.  Very, very sad how
the hearing has destroyed such a rich wonderful language as Sign
Language....

(don't worry, Australia has not yet totally thrown away the shekels of Sign
English either.  In the major cities (Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide) are
schools that teach the Deaf using Auslan Teachers or Auslan interpreters.
However, when you get out of these cities the kids are still being taught
by teachers or interpreters attempting to sign every word and mouth (voice)
them at the same time...)  But times are slowly a-changing...  Over the
last five years there has been quite some improvements in the general
knowledge of Deaf students and their English (reading/writing ) has also
improved.  What I mean is that the standard of say grade 5 Deaf children
today is better then Grade 5 five or six years ago when Sign English was
prevalent....

IN the 18th Century, the Deaf in France had their first Schools using their
own language, French Sign Language.  The Abbey (L'Epee) invented with the
help of a Deaf Frenchman a "Sign French". Not to use as a means of
educating the Deaf, but just to teach them French.  Other subjects,
Geography, Mathematics, etc. were done in French Sign Language.  Sadly the
German, Dutch, Spanish and English were still attempting to focus on speech
and teaching the Deaf through their ears.  I don't like many things of the
French (my Dutch heritage), but I praise them for their understanding that
the Deaf have their own language, culture etc and use this knowledge to
teach them.

I am currently reading a book: "when the mind hears" by Harlan Lane.  This
explains the history of the Deaf in detail and thus explains the French
connection with ASL.  Harlan Lane is American.  I have read more books of
him and others as part of my study in Auslan.

See Ya,

Antony & Terry Daamen

"And just a little while longer, and the wicked one will be no more;
.........But the meek one themselves will possess the earth,
And they will find their exquisite delight in
the abundance of peace. - Isaiah 37:10,11

The information contained in this e-mail is intended for the recipient(s)
only. It may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not
the intended recipient of this e-mail, you must not copy, distribute or
take any action that relies on it.
immediately and then delete the message.