GREECE: SignWriting Captioning on Video?

Wed Jun 5 02:38:58 UTC 2002

From: "Giorgia Dervi" <g.dervi at stefi.gr>
To: <sutton at signwriting.org>
Subject: OLYMPIC GAMES 2004 VIDEO FOR THE DEAF!!!
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 15:33:01 +0300

Dear Mrs. Sutton,
My name is Georgia Dervis, I'm an executive producer at STEFI FILMS,
a production company in Athens, Greece.
     We have produced a 47 min. video for the Education and Training
Department of the Organising Committee for the Olympic Games 2004.
This video is in Greek and concerns the Parolympic Games. Since this
video is meant for educational purposes, we are now in search for the
best way to present this audiovisual material to the deaf.
     We have contacted the Greek Deaf Association who tell us that
what they normally do is have a person accompany the video
translating it in signlanguage. This is really not possible because
the video is intended for various destinations around the country.
What would you suggest?  If there's an organisation that offers its
services around such matters we would gladly contact them. I have
browsed through <http://www.signwriting.org>www.signwriting.org and
<http://www.cfv.org>www.cfv.org and have found interesting
information but I'm not sure I understand what the BEST thing to do
is. I understand there is the solution of captioning but is there
such thing as sign writing/language captioning?  We are seeking for
the best possible outcome since this is an international matter of
great importance for our country?

I thank you in advance and hope to hear from you soon.

GEORGIA DERVIS
<mailto:g.dervi at stefi.gr>g.dervi at stefi.gr
tel:  00 3010 6108910-7
fax: 00 3010 6108918