Can we help get SW5 launches

Stuart Thiessen smt_sw at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 25 21:42:12 UTC 2002

I think the challenge is more along the lines of expertise in programming
and understanding of sign language issues more than $$  (although that is
certainly in there).  To find that expertise and then be able to pay for
that level of expertise is two separate but important issues.

I am presently at the Summer Institute of Linguistics this summer for their
classes related to sign languages.  There is a possible approach using some
of SIL's linguistic software to do the trick using standard Unicode fonts.
I will be discussing this with them while I am here.  They have a program
called Graphite that will "smart render" characters to the screen.
Presently, this renderer is only available to use with their software, but
they are looking at ways to make it usable for other software.  Certainly,
for linguists, the benefit of having the font tied to existing linguistic
research software would be beneficial.

If that can work, it might be a simpler way to do things.  This way, we only
need to create the symbols and place them in the appropriate sorted order in
the Unicode encoding, and then place those symbols in a font, and then
create the rules that the Graphite "smart renderer" can use to create the
symbols on the screen, and then create a keyboard for data entry (which
could be the same as SignWriter 4.4 or different).  Then we can use it in
SIL's WorldPad at least.  I know they themselves will want to make their
renderer available for more programs since it isn't just sign languages that
will use it but people working with minority languages around the world.
Several steps involved but it would move SignWriting in the direction of
more mainstream programs rather than being outside of mainstream software
development.

So, we shall see how this develops.  But I thought it was a piece of
optimistic news.  There are no guarantees it will work since SignWriting is
complicated to explain to a computer, but it may be possible.  I believe
this software would be available on the PC and Mac platforms for sure.  I am
uncertain about Linux or Unix systems, but at this point, I assume those are
in the minority.

FYI,

Stuart