[SignWriting] Re: Sign Search Software

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 22 16:35:43 UTC 2002

Trevor,
You may want to specifically contact Dr. Rocha in Brazil at the University of Pelotas, as he has been working on a Palm top reader which reads SW Shorthand.  It was in development when I was working down there and he was quite excited.

 Trevor Jenkins <trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM> wrote:On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Valerie Sutton wrote:

> Welcome to the SignWriting List. And thanks for your questions. There
> are several software developers using SignWriting. ...I just tried to
> make a short list
> of programs I know about (see below)...this is far from complete....
>
> 1. SW TEXT EDITORS:

For sometime I've been putting together user requirements (i.e. my own)
for a PalmOS application that would allow me to capture signed
conversations/notes in the field.

It is no more than requirements at present. No design work, no
programming, no coding, no product. If others want to discuss this
then I'd be delighted to do so. (Maybe off list?)

> SignWriter 4.4 in DOS

A primary requirement in my Palm project is compatability with SW4.4.

> SignWriter 5.0 in Java (under development)

Is SW5.0 still actively "under development"? [I suspect this is a
rhetorical question.] Personally I don't see Java as a viable choice for
PalmOS programming (or indeed any sort of programming but that's not a
battle to be fought here).

> Plus others - I hope others will inform us of the others...and correct
> the categories too....

Informed?

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!
Details at http://www.fdp.org.uk/

--

<>< Re: deemed!