diagonal planes

Fri Aug 1 16:55:56 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
August 1, 2003

Dear SW List and Charles!
I have not seen your diagram so it is not possible to be sure I
understand you...Did you attach a GIF? I remember a SGN file...I guess
you want me to look at that and create the GIF for you?

But judging by your words below...the answer is no...a gap and a
horizontal line cannot be blended at all...they are two separate
symbols and have two separate meanings...

So in awhile I will try to find your diagram to see what you are
referring to... Val ;-)

--------------------------------

On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 09:23 AM, Charles Butler wrote:

> Hi Valerie,
>
> Am I correct in writing a line down the center of the palm (fingertip
> to wrist) to show diagonal orientation (like for boat).  I'm really
> not sure how to show it otherwise. One's palm is face up sticking away
> from the body but at a diagonal slant, so you need both a gap for the
> fingers and a line down the center to show diagonal orientation.  Is
> this correct?
>
> Charles
>

> Valerie Sutton <sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:
>
> SignWriting List
> July 31, 2003
>
> DIAGONAL PLANES continued...
> After testing these symbols, there is no question that a dot on the
> Horizon Line is required, when the fingertips of the hand point towards
> the reader (towards the chest of the signer in EXPRESSIVE)... otherwise
> there can be confusion...so the plain horizontal line always means
> "towards the back wall of the room"....(forward in EXPRESSIVE)...
>

> > ATTACHMENT part 2 image/gif x-mac-creator=3842494D;
> x-unix-mode=0644; x-mac-type=47494666; > name=Diagonal_Sagittal_Hands.gif

<image.tiff>