SignWriting in Esperanto-Gestuno....;-)

Fri Aug 8 18:06:57 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
August 8, 2003

Dear SW List and Dankon...
Welcome to the SW List, Dankon, and thank you for using SignWriting to
record the manual alphabet used for Esperanto or Gestuno! The Manual
Alphabet is different in every country, as you know, but there has been
some agreement among some of the European countries, and the US and
Canada, so there are several handshapes that are the same in the Manual
Alphabets in the West...meanwhile the Manual Alphabets in Japan and
other countries of the East are extremely different...so there are many
worlds related to the Manual Alphabet!

Regarding the American Manual Alphabet...we chose to write it from the
signers point of view...so the signer looks at the back of their own
hand, while fingerspelling...so that is why most of the symbols are
dark...because the dark square means looking at the back of your own
hand... (I will continue to answer your questions later today...)...

Here is a diagram of the symbols in the American Manual Alphabet: