writing by hand - not so easy ? -

Ingvild Roald ingvild.roald at STATPED.NO
Tue Dec 2 19:58:25 UTC 2003

I agrre with Valerie, Stefan, it is important that your students may try
to write their own signs. I thought they already did this? I have seen
photos from you where they are writing on the blackboars, haven't I?
Anyway, practice, with the possibility to make mistakes, is important in
all learning. And if SignWritng is ever to become the written form of the
sign languages, it is important that it is not only typed but also
hand-written. I am sure your students will want to take down notes, or
write letters, or whatever, in their own handwriting. And it will take
time - and time is so precious when we are teaching the Deaf kids, because
of all they miss that comes freely trough the air for us who can hear.
Would they like to make stuff at home, like writing the sign-names of
their family for gift-tags or greeting-cards, then the rest of the family
would have to use 'their' language to know whom it is for ... Just an
idea, I'm sure you have many.

The important thing is that they do their own writing - at least most of
the time.

Good luck,

Ingvild

SignWriting List <SW-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA> skriver: