writing by hand - not so easy ? -

Tue Dec 2 21:36:40 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
December 2, 2003

Dear Ingvild, Stefan and SW List Members...
What a great message below, Ingvild...Actually Stefan's students do
write by hand, just not as fast as they type, and I believe Stefan was
concerned to take too much time in class on handwriting, since it was
slower than typing....and I believe he was asking if other teachers
feel it is necessary to devote a great deal more time on handwriting
versus typing?

Here is a clip from what Stefan said in his message...you can read that
his students write 6 sentences in SignWriting by hand, versus 16 to 24
typed SignWriting sentences....My reaction was ....Isn't that true in
spoken languages too? I know I can type sentences faster than I can
handwrite English? smile....

------------

Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
 > Writing German  - my students are used to write more than 2 pages a
 > day -- (answering questions, copy texts from the blackboard, writing
 > vocabulary-exercises, translating SW- documents ... ) but almost no
 > expressive writing on their own - besides simple sentences that are
not
 > connected - like: The doctor is busy. The teacher is tall. The apple
is
 > delicious. The ape is eating a banana . .... !! )
 >
 > Writing SW we would get 4 - 6 sentences - but not more! Using the SW
 > program every student will get about 16 to 24 sentences within a
reasonable
 > time. This document can be printed and it is the task to "translate"
it to
 > German in their exercis books.

I sent this message to Cecilia, and I will also send it to other
teachers in Albuquerque...most of them are so busy, they are not on the
SignWriting List...I know teachers are under stress to complete certain
assignments each day, and I can see how stressful teaching handwriting
must be for teachers, if they have administrators pushing to see a
certain number of sentences written in a day -it must be hard on the
students too...

Val ;-)