Research on if ASL should be written

Adam Frost seniorafrost at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 13 20:13:33 UTC 2003

Hey Val and everyone,

I have just finished my research that I mentioned a few months ago about if
ASL should be written or not. I found the results of the Deaf community
rather intresting. (Partly because they were different from my views, and I
am Deaf!) Once I get that report back from my teacher and format it so that
I can send it via email, I will do so.

Val, thanks for the videos that you sent me. They proved to be invalueable.
I wanted to thank you sooner, but that paper needed to be done as soon as
possible.

Here are some numbers that I got from my research with several Deaf people.
Of the 50 that I interviewed, only 15 said that ASL should be written. Also,
of thoes 50, only 4 had seen SignWriting. Most of these said that it didn't
look like true writting. A side note -- they didn't think that Chinese was
either. :-) These are some of the things that were mentioned in on the paper
that I turned in.

Oh,  and one last thing, Val. My teacher was very curious about my paper
because she studied SignWriting about 20 years ago and had the same question
I did.

I'll get the paper sent to you all as soon as I can. Until then...

|    |
  ! !  /
Adam