Position Symbols

Fri Jul 11 16:52:10 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
July 11, 2003

Daniel - The List is now receiving your messages, the second time
around...Sometimes the LISTSERVE software is not perfect, so I am glad
you tried again...Thanks for your messages!  My messages have also been
coming in very slowly lately to the List...maybe it is a little jammed
right now...

Now in regards to the terminology you mention below, called "Position
Symbols"...goodness...for me Position Symbols have nothing to do with
programming. They existed way back in our history.  Position Symbols
are symbols that have been used as far back as 1973, in DanceWriting,
and later in SignWriting, to show depth and height and location of
movement in space. There are a whole series of Position Symbols in the
Sutton Movement Writing system, and none of them are connected to
computers.... They are connected to giving researchers detailed
information about the movement that is being written, even though we
don't normally write with Position Symbols, in everyday use. The
Position Symbols are useful symbols for detailed analysis...I will post
them to the List to show you all what a Position Symbol is...

But it is true that recently the Position Symbols started to be used in
computers and programming, with the advent of SignBank and sorting
dictionaries by Sign-Symbol-Sequence. If a person doesn't want a truly
detailed way to lookup signs, then the Position Symbols are not
necessary for looking up...but if the user wants a very refined way to
lookup...then using the Position Symbols helps create a refined lookup
system...No handwriting exists for those symbols because they are way
toooo much detail for everyday use...

OK everyone. Would you like me to show you all the Position Symbols
here on the List? There are a lot of them! I will be happy to do that
in the next few messages...