Brazilian typing and dictionaries...

Fri Jul 11 18:08:12 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
July 11, 2003

On Friday, July 11, 2003, at 10:32 AM, Antonio Carlos da Rocha Costa
wrote:
> Just to remark that in Brazil we have never been keen to the
> dictionary. Everybody is always retyping signs as they are needed.
> Almost no one has developed dictionaries for storing in the SignWriter
> program.

Ha! So in Brazil they type SignWriting, but you are also developing
SW-Edit, which does not type...

This just shows how it depends on what you have been handed...

American users, can paste from a dictionary only because they were
handed a dictionary of 3,100 signs inside SignWriter. We were spoiled!

But Brazil was not handed a dictionary...You were handed SignWriter
with an empty Brazilian dictionary file, waiting for you to fill it
with signs...same with all other countries...In Germany, they now have
a 9,000-sign dictionary in SignWriter. But in Brazil you have chosen
not to use dictionaries...But if you had been handed SignWriter with
3000 Brazilian signs already typed for you, do you think people would
be pasting sentences in Brazil from entries in the dictionary?

....smile...