SW (DOS) digital dictionary and beyond, in several fronts worlwide (Brazil included)

Fernando Capovilla capovila at USP.BR
Thu Jul 17 21:58:31 UTC 2003

Dear Valerie,
Thank you for your kind message.
I understand perfectly what you say, thank you.
I was referring not only to paper dictionaries but also to digital (CD) dictionaries.
We (my graduate students and I at the University of Sao Paulo) have used your good old SignWriter Computer Program (DOS) to create a dictionary .DIC file with 5,000 Libras signs, the same signs that were published in our trilingual Libras dictionary. And we are still very fond of that good old digital dictionary, indeed.
There are two reasons for the fact that we have not distributed the .DIC file. The first one is the contract with the public university press, which prevents us from doing so. It is a legitimate concern of theirs. They have invested a high sum of money in printing the dictionary, and thus they are entitled to have some return of that
investment in order to publish further books. The second reason is that I have always felt that digital dictionaries should bring not only SW and glosses, but also concept definitions, descriptions, grammar classifications, sign illustrations, sign sublexical composition, etc. (I have always feared that the simple pairing SW-gloss, destituted
from all the rich context of information, might discourage beginners, as it did discourage me.) And, as a matter of fact, thank God, after all these years of hard and silent work we have finally managed to do so: we have finished, and are almost ready to release, a digital version of the dictionary in two CD-ROMs (one with an alphabetical
interface and the other with a graphic interface). Using a mouse and a series of pop-up cheremic menus the deaf can locate any Libras sign from the 5,000 sign bank simply by selecting some of allochers that comprise their sublexical structure. Our hard investment of time and effort in this project shows just how deep is our faith in the
paramount importance of digital dictionaries. (By the way, as it happened with our paper dictionary, our digital dictionary will also have the authorship rights donated to research and development to the benefit of deaf children.). All that explains why I broke the silent work and took the liberty to stress the fact that there are some quite
dedicated Brazilians who are, indeed, extremely fond of the digital dictionary, even in its good old DOS version. (We will always be grateful to the SignWriter Computer Program, which has helped us to add SW to the paper dictionary).
With respect to the 19 volume paper encyclopedia, I am glad to inform that it is almost ready. I am concluding 11 chapters (300 pages each) describing the instruments we have developed and the data resulting from them on reading, spelling and sign language development by 2,000 6-45 year old Brazilian deaf students. As soon as they are
finished, the encyclopedia will eb released. That sort of cognitive and language mapping will serve us as a baseline, which will make possible to ascertain precisely the future impacts of the introduction of teaching technologies, based on our encyclopedia, on our sign retrieval software, and, should God grant us this opportunity, on
everyone ±±  beloved SignWriting, the masterpiece of your life, Valerie. We are almost there. The initial findings with SW seem very promissing. But the real impact on linguistic and metalinguistic skills remain to be ascertained in precisely controlled experiments, and all the new instruments will help with that.
We are very glad with the important work of Antonio Carlos and his crew in Pelotas, and we are certain that sooner or later, all the different progresses will converge. His SW-Edit that permits creating SignWriting dictionaries inside computers with his new SWML format is a great achievement, and may contribute to SW in a very important way.
Everybody working in parallel in Sao Paulo, Porto Alegre, Pelotas, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte, and other important Brazilian cities, will keep on preparing a brighter future to deaf kids with the help of SW.
Best regards,
Fernando