Questions about the use of SW

Thu Jun 12 13:23:53 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
June 12, 2003

Hello Everyone, and Anne-Claude!
Thank you for your message below, Anne-Claude. Yes, you are correct we
do not have a special section on each of the 27 countries on my web
site, but that does not mean they don't exist - so the fault is my web
site...smile...

A classic example is Malta...The Maltese Sign Language Dictionary
project is not on the web yet, so no one would know about it...which is
a shame because it is such an important project! I promised the Maltese
project to post a web page about their wonderful work...and I most
definitely will....When I released SignWriter Java, it took a little
time to get it posted and to communicate with programmers
behind-the-scenes, but well worth it too! And I know you are waiting
for your Swiss-French Fingerspelling Keyboard too...so both your
projects in French-Switzerland, and the Maltese project, are two
examples of projects not mentioned on the web yet...

What are the 27 countries?

Arabic-Nations, Belgium-French, Belgium-Flemish, Bolivia, Brazil,
Canada, Colombia, Denmark, El Salvador, England, Finland, France,
Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico,
Nicaragua, Norway, Peru, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland-French,
Switzerland-German, South Africa, Sweden, USA

I have a feeling I have left a few countries out...so let me revise
that list later...notice in the above list I considered the
Belgium-Flemish Sign Language to be different than the Belgium-French
Sign Language - those are not really two different countries, but they
are two different signed languages - but even if you put them into one
country we still have more than 27 listed above...

Now...just because there are groups using SignWriting in those
countries, it does not mean that every country has a program using
SignWriting for Deaf children in a school system...no... that is
rare...only a few countries are teaching SignWriting in the
schools...most countries have research groups using it, and are
therefore working with adults, not children...

The most important countries working with Deaf children right now are
the US, Germany, Nicaragua and possibly Brazil...I am not sure what is
happening in Brazil right now, but in the past Marianne Stumpf and
others did teach Deaf children in schools...

I would strongly suggest that you communicate with teacher Stefan
Woehrmann, who is on the List all the time, and he is teaching teachers
how to teach children SignWriting, and he receives guests from other
countries - recently he had teachers from Sweden visit his classrooms
in Germany - so you have a source in Europe to turn to...

Here in the USA, Dr. Cecilia Flood and her team of teachers in
Albuquerque are the pioneers - Cecilia is on a vacation right now, but
when she gets back, she told me she wants to post some of her students
SignWriting documents on the new Children to Children web site designed
by Jerry Spillman and Tini Pel in Canada -

And did you know, Anne-Claude, that Penny, Siv and the Swiss-German
project are preparing materials in Zurich, so that Siv can teach
SignWriting in a school for deaf children in the Fall, in Switzerland?
So your own country will be pioneering in the schools too!

For information about SignWriting in the schools...what we have on the
web right now:

SignWriting Teacher's Forum
http://www.SignWriting.org/forums/teachers/teachers.html

SignWriting in Albuquerque