Children to children

Sun Jun 29 16:32:43 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
June 29, 2003

Dear Tini and everyone!
Thanks for this message, Tini...How were those documents done? My
understanding is that the students typed the individual signs with
SignWriter 4.4, and then they printed them on paper. They then took a
scissors and cut hem out individually and pasted each sign near the
illustrations. Once the pasted pages was completed, Cecilia Flood
scanned each full page into Microsoft Word. Then Cecilia called me and
told me she didn't have success with making a PDF of the Word
documents, so I told her to send them to me. I then converted Cecilia's
Word documents into PDF, and then Jerry took those documents and
created his own web page...

The child, Lance, is around 8 years old. Some of the other children are
as young as six, and they directed this project. Yes...the teachers
"helped"...that is for sure...but no adult was completelyn controlling
the project...they were encouraging the children to take charge. We
cannot add glosses without permission from the authors - ha! And
everyone is on vacation right now...they come back to school in
mid-August...so for me anyway, I would prefer not changing or
translating anything - since we want to ask the children
themselves...the only problem we are having right now, is that the
children are forced to go through the adults for the scans...but
hopefully in time we can solve that so they can send Jerry their own
documents on their own - I believe in children empowerment, as I know
you do too...so this can build into something important in time, but it
may take a few years...

Val ;-)