[SignWriting] Need your advice...which compression should I use?

Brendan Ryan bjr5096 at RIT.EDU
Sun May 11 15:22:51 UTC 2003

Trevor Jenkins wrote:
> On Sun, 11 May 2003, Valerie Sutton <sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:
>
> There are some others, which happen to provide better compression than any
> of the above, but they are widely used on Microsoft platforms.

Oh those other formats are gzip, bzip2 and the compress program's Z
format.  These are used on UNIX and Linux systems, but the programs are
available for Windows and other platforms, but not everyone has them.  I
know that gzip has better compression than zip and that bzip2 is better
but I don't know about Z.  Often, people would use the tar program to
put their file into one file and then compress that with gzip.  I think
that zip would be the best choice because a lot of people have programs
for that format because it is widely used on the internet and there are
zip programs for many platforms.

Brendan Ryan