Research Project

Mon Nov 3 20:01:10 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
November 3, 2003

Adam Frost wrote:
> So as you can see, I am very excited about this. However, I have been
> finding out that many don't share that same excitement. That is why I
> am
> doing this research: to find out why. If you can help me with this, I
> would
> appreciate it.

Dear SW List and Adam, Erika, Stuart...
Thanks for this question...I am so used to the skepticism that it
doesn't worry me any longer. I believe that all writing systems take
time. The writing system for English took centuries to become what it
is today, and back in Shakespeare's time, only the "educated", usually
wealthy people could read and write and the majority of the population
were illiterate.... and then in time, written English started to be
taught in schools, and that is when it became a standard we all take
for granted today...

So the answer is teaching the young Deaf children in school. Meanwhile,
today's Deaf adults have a large change to adjust to...the idea that
their native language is now a "written language", when it never was
before...That is a big change in thinking!

This means that you, Adam, are a pioneer. If you can continue to
introduce Deaf adults to the concept that "Sign Languages are now
written languages"...you will be creating "social change" slowly but
surely, one Deaf friend at a time...

I would suggest downloading this document and printing it and showing
this to your friends:

SignWriting PDF Library
Document 7: Lecture Handouts
http://signwriting.org/library/pdf/pdf001.html

Thanks for helping us continue the idea....

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting Site
http://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages