FRENCH materials for SignWriting...

Guylhem Aznar swl at EXTERNE.NET
Wed Oct 29 21:19:42 UTC 2003

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply due to a bad cold and a load of work!
It should only get worse when I'll officially start my residency in the
psychiatry department of Cahors, a small town in southern France.

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:19:22 -0700
Valerie Sutton <Sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:
> I am so happy to see that you are working with Patrice Dalle. Years ago
> their school joined the SignWriting Literacy Project and I donated some
> materials to them, but then we never heard from them again...How are
> they all, and are they using SignWriting in Toulouse?

They are doing fine - Patrice Dalle is now professor in the computer science
research institute here (IRIT.fr)
They did use SW in a bilingual highschool for some months.
However they stopped using SW because of the dependancies on MS DOS and the
departure of the responsible teacher.

I think the lack of available material in french was also an  issue.

> Anny in French Switzerland has been working very hard on translating
> the Lessons in SignWriting Textbook into French...And she is also
> writing the signs in Swiss-French Sign Language for diagrams in her
> book...perhaps you would like to do the same with French Sign Language?

I may - currently I'm in the process of gathering funds and preparing my todo
list.
Unicode and vectorial font support rank #1 - I would like to have that ready for
next summer.

I will try to contact Stuart Thiessen and Michael Everson to discuss their
unicode implementation project and my current ideas.

Guylhem

--
*@externe.net ![guylhem at oeil.qc.ca->@metalab.unc.edu->@ibiblio.org->@7un.org]
http://externe.net/geekcode http://externe.net/photos http://externe.net/zaurus