Finnish Towns

Wed Oct 8 15:50:58 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 8, 2003

Dear SW List, Ingvild, Stefan, Charles and Nitsu -
A long time ago, Charles, Ingvild, Stefan and Nitsu started discussing
"diagonal planes" ....palm facings that are "inbetween" two other palm
facings...These symbols do exist when writing by hand...you can see
them in Nitsu's diagram, and there are some good diagrams on Stefan's
web site....I couldn't find them at the moment...anyway...when you are
writing by hand there is no problem. I believe Nitsu's question was
asking if those "inbetween palm facings" could be incorporated in one
of our computer programs?...Regarding that question...writing by hand
is great, but computers limit us. SignWriter DOS has no more room for
new symbols - we would have to throw out other symbols and we can't do
that...SignWriter Java would not be able to convert DOS files, if I
change its symbolset...so the only computer program that I control that
can add new symbols is SignBank (SymbolBank)...The new Brazilian
SW-Edit program could also include new symbols possibly...but frankly,
too many symbols can overwhelm people too...

So how am I solving this problem? I have created two different SignBank
databases...Everyday Use and Research Use...please see attached
diagram...my message will continue next email...