Finnish Towns

Wed Oct 8 19:37:35 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 8, 2003

Dear SW List, Nitsu, Ingvild:

> I'd want to comment on this, but that would have to wait until I'm back
> home on my own comuter with the sw-program. I think I see another
> solution, using horizon line, if we want it that detailed, but with a
> simpler but incorrect solution for evereday use, if our Deaf people
> find
> that is the best. The American spelling is not our sign - it's almost
> as
> spelling 'much' for 'meget'. Ingvild

Sure. And I understand this has to be worked through...the only problem
I have is I am continually overwhelming people with "too many symbols",
so I am trying to find a way to solve that problem, making a symbol-set
that works for "everyday use"...

So another alternative is to have a different "everyday use" symbol-set
for EACH Sign Language...so that the inbetween positions might be
necessary in Norway, but not in the US...actually there are some
symbols right now, in the Everyday Use symbol-set, that are not
specific to ASL either, so we could try to pin down what is specific to
each signed language...and make a different database for each
country...what a job! But a fun one too, and very worthwhile, if it
works...;-)