My First SW Posting

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Sep 5 07:17:55 UTC 2003

Hello!

My name's Sandy Fleming (or you might see it as Sandy Fleemin on the Internet - that's the Scots version of my name). I'm deafened (almost completely) and have been using British Sign Language for about 15 years now.

I'm a computer programmer and also write in Scots and English - you can get at some of my writing through the menu at http://sandyfleemin.org/

I've always been frustrated at not being able to write in BSL - I tried learning the Stokoe notation but found it impractical for writing any large amount of sign language clearly. Finally found the SW site and realised that this is what I'm looking for!

My main website is the repository of Scots literature at http://scotstext.org/ and I'd like to put some of the stories there into SignWritten BSL, but first I have to master SignWriting! For a simple first project, though, I'm writing doun all the signs for the UK towns and cities I know that have special signs. I learn these town signs when I go places but most of them aren't in the British Deaf Association/BP BSL-English dictionary. I suppose I ought to have a page where I record any BSL signs I happen to know that aren't in the Dictionary!

I can't seem to get any SW software working - SW-DOS doesn't work in WIndows XP and there seems to be a problem on my machine with a missing file when I try to install Java. Never mind, I like scribbling and I can always just scan in my handwritten SW to start with!

Sandy