Creating a New Dictionary

Wed Sep 10 14:27:24 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
September 10, 2003

On Wednesday, September 10, 2003, at 01:48 AM, Sandy Fleming wrote:
> I need to make a start on my new BSL dictionary, which I obviously can
> do
> just by using SW-DOS. I'm wondering about the dictionary files created
> by SW-DOS, however. Are they only usable by SW-DOS or can the Java
> program use them too? If I create a dictionary in SW-DOS do I have to
> do it all over again for Java people?

Hello Everyone and Sandy -
The SignWriter Java program converts all documents and dictionaries
created with SignWriter DOS, to the new Java format....so the two
programs work together. You have to create the dictionary in SignWriter
DOS first. You can read how to convert it in the Java program, by
downloading the SignWriter Java manual, that is on the download page
with the SWJava program...

Download SignWriter Java
http://signwriting.org/forums/software/sw50/download/index.html

You claim that you cannot run SignWriter Java on your machine, but lots
of PC people do daily. Cecilia Flood was telling me that she uses
SignWriter Java daily on a PC, so there are people who do it...You
should try downloading the Java onto Windows 98...the Java2 1.4.1
download works on my Windows 98 machine...

And SignBank is also a powerful tool for SignWriting dictionaries, so I
have given the world three tools for dictionary creation...

You can purchase our computer programs:

Number 7 and 8 on this page...
http://www.SignWriting.org/catalog

Or you can download older versions for free as you know...but you will
need to read the manuals...;-)

Starting with SignWriter DOS is fine in the beginning...