SignWriting-style notation for oral languages?

Tue Sep 23 16:18:08 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
September 23, 2003

Sandy Fleming in the UK wrote:
> How about a SignWriting-style notation for oral languages?

Dear Sandy and Everyone!
I am sure your discussion on writing the movements of speech on the
mouth have taken interesting turns, and I confess I do not have time to
follow them right now, with so much happening, but just for your
general information....SignWriting has already been used to write the
movements of speech two times in history:

1. Sutton SpeechWriting
Developed at National Technical Institute for the Deaf (NTID) in 1979
Example on the web
(scroll down the page to see example)
http://www.signwriting.org/library/history/hist004.html

2. MundbildSchrift by Stefan Woehrmann
Writes mouth-pictures for the German spoken language
Used daily by Deaf students in Germany
Document 108
http://www.SignWriting.org/library/pdf/pdf017.html