SW materials/Val

Fri Sep 26 15:14:40 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
September 26, 2003

Dear SW List, and Nitsu -
Thanks for all your messages! Ingvild will be here until this
afternoon, when I take her to the airport. We have had a fruitful
visit. We have used SignWriter DOS in DOSBox on XP, SignWriter Java,
SignBank For Everyday Use, and I showed Ingvild the new SW-Edit program
from Brazil, designed by Antonio Carlos da Rocha Costa and others in
Pelotas...All programs are working on Ingvild's little laptop, and
hopefully, when she returns to Norway, it all will work for her on her
computer there too....smile!!!

Nitsu Pikkupyora wrote:
> What material do you have there, Valerie? I meen that kind of real
> published (non-ASL) stuff...? Or if not published, anyway markable
> enough... Please can you give me any estimation?

There are hundreds of SignWriting publications around the world. Here
is a short list from the 1970's...I can make a listing for you later on
more...

QUESTION:
        "I am looking for an OLD reference to SignWriting, something
perhaps that was authored in the 1970's? I don't have anything specific
in mind, but I do want to be able to point people to something
published on paper at the beginning of the invention."

ANSWER:
        Here is a listing of some SignWriting publications from
1974-1979:

Fall, 1975
        "Examples of Notation of a South Pacific Sign Language"
        ISBN: 0-914336-32-0
        This booklet recorded mime-like gestures and home signs of a
   lone Deaf man, based on research by Rolf Kuschel. It included
pictures with SignWriting illustrations.

Fall, 1976
        "Examples of Notation of Danish Deaf Sign Language"
        ISBN: 0-914336-03-7
        This booklet showed Sutton's first attempts at recording Danish
      Sign Language in 1974, 1975 and 1976.

Summer, 1977
        "Sutton Movement Shorthand; Writing Tool For Research."
        First paper on SignWriting presented in the USA by Valerie
Sutton,       in Chicago, Illinois at the National Symposium on Sign
Language       Research & Teaching. Published in: Stokoe, William C.
(ed):       "Proceedings of the First National Symposium on Sign
Language       Research and Teaching." Chicago,Ill (1977) - pp. 267-296

Spring, 1978
        "Hørende Danskeres Gestus-Repertoire (Hearing Danes'
Gesture-Repertoire)" by Jan Enggaard. This published research
used SignWriting to record hearing person's gestures, with
contributions       by Valerie Sutton. The research was conducted at
the Audiologopædisk       Forskningsgruppe, University of Copenhagen,
Denmark.

July, 1978
        "SignWriting, Sutton Movement Shorthand, The Sign Language
Key, Key 5"
        Textbook: ISBN: 0-914336-06-1; Audio & Videotapes: ISBN:
0-914336-07-X
        First SignWriting textbook, with 8-hours of video and audio
instruction.       It is an historic record of how the system was
written in the       1970's. No longer in print.

Fall, 1979
        "NTID Technical Signs Manuals"
        SignWriting symbols are used in a series of Technical Signs
Manuals,       produced at NTID in Rochester, New York, under the
direction       of Dr. Frank Caccamise. In 1979, Valerie Sutton was a
full-time       consultant to the project for six months, and is the
author of       the second manual, which teaches the SignWriting
symbols. Over       10 manuals have since been published. The movement
symbols of       SignWriting are blended with life-like illustrations,
showing       technical signs used in different professions.

Fall, 1979
        "Sutton Speech Writing"
        This booklet described and illustrated Sutton's attempts at
writing       the detailed movements of the mouth, jaw and tongue while
speaking.       It was written while Sutton was a consultant at NTID.
Audiologists       and speech pathologists at NTID stimulated the
project. Sutton       analyzed detailed videos of speech production,
and developed       a system for notating the mouth and tongue
movements. Indirectly       this was an influence on SignWriting, since
some movements of       the mouth are recorded when writing signed
languages.

October 26, 1980
        "A Way To Analyze American Sign Language & Any Other Sign
Language Without Translation Into Any Spoken Language"
        Paper by Valerie Sutton presented at the National Symposium on
Sign Language Research and Teaching in Boston, Massachusetts.

If you go to this web page:
Univeristy of Hamburg Library..Sutton  Listing:

http://www.sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de/bibweb/LiDat.acgi?AUTHORID=765