Typing in SignWriting

Stephen Slevinski slevin at PUDL.INFO
Thu Apr 1 01:37:28 UTC 2004

Stuart,

Thanks.  I appreciate you pointing out the disadvantages of glossing.  Do
you have any examples of SignWriting that demonstrate these limitations?

The use of SignWriting is still evolving.  I can see the problem if people
become accustomed to simplifing their language to fit an imperfect tool.
They may view SignWriting as flawed, when it is actually the glossing.

I hope that they would become interested in SignWriting and then
dissatisfied with glossing.  This would lead to people willing to invest the
time to learn a real tool like SignWriter.  Or they may even create a tool
better than SignWriter.

-Stephen