Dic and Din files - I need help sorting these

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Apr 2 20:28:05 UTC 2004

Hi Everyone and Valerie, and especially Belgium and PUDL,

I do not have access to my old sw001.dic other than as a copy on a CD of a system that was crashing.  The sw001.din file is probably there.

I am really in need of help to not have to repeat an enormous amount of work that I had hoped was finished.

The SW files attached are a mix

It is a mix of ASL and Brazilian signs because that was what I had at the time.  Each sign is divided in these sign files.  I am sorry that they are mixed up, but I no longer have the capacity to easily edit them into two sign dictionaries.  I typed everything together as I was working on various stories in both languages, and I am not even sure how many signs are there.

The version of SW that I had did not have access to a Brazilian Sign SW file, nor any way to save stuff to a separate dictionary.

I have some sgn files, but they are usually not separate sgn for each word.

I have a number of stories as well, but do not have access to the software to be able to edit these files into separate files for each sign.

Do you know of anyone who can take both files, read them in SW, and help me break them apart into ASL and Libras-related signs.

I had hoped I could do that with PUDL, if PUDL has the capacity to read these files and  help me sort them out.

Charles Butler

Valerie Sutton <sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:
SignWriting List
April 2, 2004

Charles Butler wrote:
> The SW001.dic database should also contain a lot of medieval sign
> language from various sources as well as some Libras, though not all
> of the original .dic files from Brazil.

Hi Everyone, and Charles!
That is great that you tried the Belgian dictionary database, and I
hope you can give the programmers feedback:

Steven Aerts
steven.aerts at ua.ac.be

Bart Braem
bart.braem at ua.ac.be

1. Regarding the file that you attached, Charles...Here are some of my
thoughts...I suspect it is a little premature to send a dictionary file
just yet...The Belgian online dictionary is one of the programs
featured at the software conference in Lisbon in May...and it is just
being tested right now...So write to the programmers above first, to
see if they are ready to accept new dictionary files...

2. If you do send to them, be sure to send them two files...not just a
...dic, but also a file named .din...without both .dic and .din, the
dictionary is unreadable.

3. Is your dictionary file a mixture of American and Brazilian signs?
That would be very confusing. The name of the American dictionary file
is sw001.dic and sw001.din, so you need to have a seperate name for
your LIBRAS dictionary, so the signs do not get mixed...It may be a lot
of work to place your dictionary on the web, so before all that work,
it would be a good idea to have a clean dictionary that is not a blend
of many signed languages, because on the web, there are visitors from
all over the world, some who are beginners and will assume that every
sign in the dictionary is one language...

I hope the Belgian team will forgive me if I have said something wrong
here...I am trying my best to explain the situation! Meanwhile, I have
had a peek at the Greek animation program using SignWriting and that is
also quite amazing!!