[sw-l] IMWA version 1.0 completed...

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Sun Aug 22 16:36:22 UTC 2004

Your message got through, Val.

And wonderful news about the IMWA!  :-)
What a comprehensive database!  :-)
That should give great flexibility to front end programs using it.

It made me wonder if it would be possible to write a full
dictionary-style definition of a concept.

If we would take the informational items that may be included in a
definition, are all the items fully supported in just signing alone or
will there be, because writing is different than signing, marks that are
used just for the dictionary?

For instance, italics are used in dictionaries to denote different
subjects or categories.  Let's say we have a word elevator, and it's
labeled U.S., while the synonymous lift, is labeled Brit.  Notice that
in my use of the italics in the preceeding sentence, it helped to define
the subjects and their "Locality Label" category.  Would the use of
italics in this manner be satisfied with the sign for topic, and topic
would be used that way in the definition, or is there an actual way to
make Signwriting italic?  Of course, that begs the question;  "How do
other character-based writing systems approach this idea?"

This is just one of many questions that can be asked when considering
the concept of a dictionary written only in sign language.  I know that
dictionaries have been written that include signwriting and I seem to
remember something written recently totally in signwriting, so I'm
hoping that items like this are well on the way to being defined and
clarified and that the IMWA (and the signed languages it supports) is
comprehensive enough to support that effort.

Bill