[sw-l] Is this Spelling Correct?

Tue Dec 7 19:26:17 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
December 7, 2004

Sandy Fleming wrote:
> I don't quite understand this - I thought if the orientation was
> parallel to
> the floor, then it had to be n the floor plane, ie the fingers
> disjoined
> from the palm. I don't see how a handshpe in the wall plane can be
> used to
> show this. Is it because you first think of it as being placed in the
> wall
> plane and the hand orientation is then changed as shoqn in the sign?

Hands parallel to the floor can be written from the Top View, or from
the Front View, in most cases. In your signs, the hand is pointing to
the side wall. When the hand is parallel to the floor and pointing to
the side, it is easy to veiw the hand in either viewpoint...Here is a
sign in ASL...written both ways...same movement from two different
viewpoints...