[sw-l] Is this Spelling Correct?

Tue Dec 7 19:46:02 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
December 7, 2004

Sandy Fleming wrote:
> I'm wondering, is this spelling OK?
>
> The thumb is touching the chin but there's no way to actually make it
> look
> like it's touching the chin. I've simply used the "chin" symbol, and
> put a
> contact symbol next to the thumb.

If you choose the Top View of the hand, then you wrote that
fine...Charles is right that the Front View may be better in this
case...

Regarding the spellings for the sign FISH in BSL (see attached)...the
first one...do you want just the fingers to move up and down from the
knuckle joint, like in the sign for GOODBYE, with the fingers tight
together? That is what you wrote. If you want the whole hand to go
wiggling like a wave or fish, then you need to use a waving curved
symbol for arms, rather than the Finger Movements...