[sw-l] SWML Conversions?

Wed Dec 1 14:52:37 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
December 1, 2004

Happy December everyone!
I have taken my household full of guests to the airport, and I am
online with you once again. My holiday-celebration was early this year,
and we had a wonderful time! ;-))

Sandy Fleming wrote:
> Part of the problem is how slow it is working with the Puddle
> dictionary
> over an ordinary phone line (I'm too far from our local exchange to get
> broadband). When I select aymbols in th buddle dictionary, once a list
> of
> symbols has downloaded I still have to wait for some time while the
> browser
> downloads many more items. I don't know wht these items are but I
> don't see
> anything appearing at the display during this time. Would it be
> possible to improve the dictionary to speed it up, especially by
> removing these "invisible" downloads? Surely I'm not the last person
> in the world with a slow connection? Sandy

Regarding fast versus slow connections and SignPuddle...I had a great
experience sharing SignPuddle with my guests. We had some Board Members
here last Sunday, and I gave them a demonstration. They were sooo
impressed with the fact, that if you have a fast connection, you can
use SignPuddle without downloading any special software onto your hard
drive...that is actually one of the things I like best about
SignPuddle!

However, Sandy, you are right that without a fast connection to the
internet it is too slow, or doesn't load at all...and that is why
Stephen gave us a way to place SignPuddle directly onto your
desktop...without being required to access the internet at all. You
will need to learn how to set it up with Apache, I believe. If you are
interested in that, I would suggest referring to instructions on how to
set it up, written by Stuart Thiessen several months ago, placed on his
web site:

SignPuddle on your desktop
http://www.passitonservices.org/documentation/index.shtml

SW-Edit is a good program and I am glad to hear you are using it!

I am now going to be working on improving the IMWA. I am afraid this
will give more work to Stephen, because when I am done we will need to
update the current SignPuddle...so you might want to wait until that is
done sometime in the next few months...

And no, you are not the only one with a slower modem connection...Are
faster connections to the internet even possible in your area? Every
region is different. I couldn't get DSL where I live, so I got cable,
and I am happy with it...Because we are a non-profit, the cable company
gave us a half-price arrangement monthly, so it is not too
expensive...You might research your area to find out what arrangements
you can make...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWritingSite
http://www.SignWriting.org