[sw-l] SignWriter DOS Tech Support

Wed Dec 1 19:53:22 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
December 1, 2004

Brenda White wrote:
> I hit S for Setup... O for open... none of the buttons work.   I hit
> ESC to get out... and again nothing happens.  Everything is frozen.
> The only way out is to manually shut off the computer by way of the
> button, wait till it cleans itself up, and restarts in Windows 98.

Hello Brenda and Everyone -
OK. First, do not tap O for Open. It must be the Alt Key held down, and
then tap on the O. In other words, it is Alt-O, not just O...

However, there is a chance this is an old bug connected with some
people's keyboards. For example, if by accident, you touch the ALL Caps
key, and then try to use the keyboard in SignWriter DOS, sometimes that
freezes the computer. There are a couple of other keys that would do
this too...perhaps touching Control by mistake...This is not true for
all keyboards and this is a rare bug...

I can try to lookup information on that old bug if you wish...

Meanwhile Brenda, we have other programs...SignWriter DOS is not the
only one....

So rather than fighting with this problem, you could try another
program for now...Have you visited SignPuddle?...Please tell me if you
have gone to this web page:

SignPuddle
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/sgn-US

Have you been able to search for signs there?

What about sending some email to us in SignWriting?...