[sw-l] SignWriter DOS Tech Support

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Thu Dec 2 16:16:24 UTC 2004

Well, I have noticed in Windows 98, that sometimes the use of DOS
within Windows sometimes doesn't work very well.  Usually, it is a sign
of some kind of internal problem.  I haven't had a chance to sit down
and figure out the problem.

You should be able to go to START | SHUTDOWN and then select restart in
MS-DOS mode.  It should not freeze then for sure if everything is
installed correctly. At least it does on my computer.  So, Brenda, I
suggest that you try it this way. It really won't make much difference
in how you export files to Windows. When you exit SW-DOS, then type
Exit at the DOS prompt and you will go right back to Windows 98.

So far, I find SW-DOS to be the best of all the options for any kind of
sustained text input.  While SW-Edit has a wonderful interface, the
point and click interface takes too long for me compared to the typing
approach in SW-DOS.  I hope that we will eventually have the option of
point-and-click and keyboarding depending on our personal style or even
our mood.  Right now, I tend to use SW-DOS and SW-Java as a team.  I
enter data in SW-DOS and then save the file. Then open it again with
SW-JAVA and capture the screen output.  If I use SW-EDIT, I just use it
alone.  For my presentations on SW when I am using standard signs, I
tend to use SignPuddle to grab example signs and then use SW-Java to
create symbol examples (like all the palm orientations for a specific
handshape, etc.)

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Stuart