[sw-l] left-handed or right-handed?

Mon Dec 6 17:03:18 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
December 6, 2004

Hello Everyone -
No alarm bells are necessary...smile...I am not a teacher of sign
language or deaf children, and I never plan to become one! The teachers
in Belgium, for example, will choose what is best for them, when it
comes to the issues of right and left handed signing...

I only teach the symbols themselves, and how to apply them to writing
SignSpellings ... I am not a linguist as you know...I think the issue
of left and right handed signing is actually a linguistic issue, and a
social issue too, because some left handed signers are really upset if
they cannot write the way they sign...

SignWriting can be used in hundreds of ways, and please feel free to
teach as you wish...

For me personally, when it comes to writing Deaf storytelling, I find I
need to be able to write left-handed signs too...but that is just
me...and my neutrality does not mean you have to be neutral...

Val ;-)