[sw-l] SignText Beta: download and dictionary import

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Dec 15 11:41:12 UTC 2004

Hi Stephen!

> Converting between SWML formats is not hard.  Converting between
> symbol sets
> is hard.  SignPuddle uses sss-2004.  SW-Edit does not.  Once new
> application
> begin to use the IMWA, conversion will become trivial.  Until them,
> conversions will probably not happen.

Ah, I see now what the pronlem is.

> I believe it is more important that the IMWA (sss-2004) is used as the
> standard, rather than the form of the SWML.

I agree.

In my opinion it's not a good idea to worry too much about standards in
XML - at least not in the early stages. It's usually very easy to convert
between different types of XML and it's better to try different XML
applications and write converters where necessary. Eventually the best one
(or few) will emerge as standard - but they probably won't be the first
thing we thought of!

Sandy